My studio

I've been looking around and one of the things I've seen that always interests me is what different artists studio spaces look like. Well, My main workspace and sewing place is the "dine in" section of my kitchen in our little Cape Cod house that was built around 1947 or so. This first photo is a shot of my main sewing table.

Posted by Picasa

This next picture is the wall where I have a lot of my fat quarters of fabric stored. I have more fabric storage in another couple of locations throughout my living room and upstairs in my attic, but becuase I do a lot of scrap style quilts and dolls use smaller cuts of fabric, I buy lots more fat quarters than larger yard cuts so I can have some variety in my stash of fabric to work from. The really big box on the left is my yarn and hair box for my doll making.  
Posted by Picasa

The kitchen is larger than normal because a previous owner added onto the house and expanded the kitchen to a normal size that includes an space for a table and such. My husband and I tend to eat at our coffee table and so he has allowed me to take over this area for my "studio" space.  
Posted by Picasa
This picture features my ironing mat that I made and under this is the self healing mat where I do the majority of my fabric cutting for quilts. Now I do have a normal size ironing board, but at the moment it isn't set up in this space as would take too much room. I am considering bringing it out of retirement and finding a good location for it where it can stay set up and not get in the way of normal traffic (walking around) patterns, but until then I will continue to make due with my smaller ironing mat. I've been doing some cleaning and organizing recently as due to some of the effects of my out of wack thyroid levels, my hands are a bit swollen and I haven't had much energy to do a lot of sewing and thus am trying to use my creative time to prepare for when my body is more back to normal. However, these are some of the quilt blocks I've made most recently hanging out on my new smaller design wall that I made out of an old bulliten board.  
Posted by Picasa

This is a close up of a simple wall angel I made who hangs in my sewing space. She is from a Pamela Hastings pattern I found in the wonderful magazine Cloth Dolls and Animals. My favorite thing about her is the pieced body and bright colors which are so me.
 
Posted by Picasa

Comments