Christmas Baking, Chocolate Crinkles


Posted by Picasa
While most people would have gotten their Christmas baking done before now, I worship at the temple of the Goddess of the last minute.  So, today, Christmas Eve day to be exact, I finally baked the first of the cookies I planned on making weeks ago.  Last night I made the dough for Chocolate Crinkles and baked some banana bread muffins.  Today, I baked off the Crinkles and am planning on also making some Ginger Spice Cream cookies, complete with cream cheese frosting--I had a bit of a set back with the Ginger Creams in that I didn't have enough molasses or powdered sugar, but fortunately my husband is willing to brave some light freezing rain and grocery stores the day before Christmas for me.  I am so lucky. 
So, if you are like me baking at the last minute embrace sweet smells of chocolate cookies perfuming your home.  Here's the recipe I used, that I got from my Mom, who as of the last time I talked to her had already made her cookies.

Chocolate Crinkles
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup salad (canola) oil
2 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate (cool)
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix granulated sugar, salad oil, vanilla and chocolate together.  Blend in eggs one at a time.  Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Refridgerate at least 3 hours, or overnight.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Drop dough by the teaspoonful into confectioner's sugar; roll in sugar and shape into balls.  Place about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes.  Makes 6 dozen cookies. 

Comments

Mary said…
Woo hoo! I was gonna ask or the recipe but forgot. Now I'll hve it forever in glorious digital form.

Merry Christmas, Nan and Dagon. I miss you both SO much. Wish we lived closer. Maybe we could take a joint trip to IC sometime!

Love,
Mary